Monday, July 11, 2005

Welcome!
Minnesota Baseball Central is a new Twins blog in which I hope to offer original statistically-influenced insight on Terry Ryan’s collection of grown-ups who play games for money. Since this post is the origin, chances are only friends and family will ever bear witness to it, but I shall offer some background nonetheless. I now live in Washington, DC, so most of my firsthand baseball experience these days is in the upper bowl of RFK.
One of my earliest baseball memories is sitting in the upper deck to see Jack Morris in game one of the 1991 World Series, and I feel some of that euphoria every time I set foot under the massive white roof. Regardless, I will surely be in attendance to see the Twins in daylight for the grand opening of the outdoor stadium in 200? (or 20??, or 2???). Some special part of the Metrodome’s mystique undoubtedly died with Bob Casey, and a new day in Twins baseball must dawn.
I obviously cried when Kirby got glaucoma, but everyone down to Junior Ortiz on those winning teams has a special place in my heart. Not that I’m a bandwagon fan, but suffice to say that the Serafini-Stahoviak era has an aftertaste akin to soap.
Today, it pains me to watch Luis Rivas, Juan Castro, et al bungle away potential wins with meek choppers in the name of preserving chemistry and infield defense, but I understand it as a fact of life. Besides, a Johan K, or an over-the-baggy mash by Morneau more than makes up for the bad times. My goals in writing are twofold: first as a personal catharsis, but also to provide some research-based writing that I would like to read but cannot always find. Plus, I’m sick of having lots to say about baseball in general, but never saying it, then forgetting. So if nothing else, this site can be my personal diary. Without a lock. Which I want other people to read. And that’s where the metaphor breaks down.
Anyway, welcome to MBC and enjoy.